[hylafax-users] Need help making a decision: IAXmodem& Asterisk vs T38modem?

I imagine that there are probably a lot of partisans on both sides here, so I figure I'll get a good idea of the advantages and disadvantages of both packages.

I'm trying to send faxes to an internet based T38 FOIP system. I'm already pretty familiar with Hylafax, so I'd rather use that that Digium's Fax-For-Asterisk...  Also, I'm running this on a Macintosh.

My options, as I see them, are I run hylafax, and IAXModem pretends to be a TTY, and talks to Asterisk, which sends out T38.

VS T38modem which pretends to be a TTY and sends out t38.

I know that Asterisk and T38modem (mostly) compile on a Mac, but I'm not sure about IAXModem. I have done a lot of messing about with T38modem, but haven't gotten it to work with SIP yet... Asterisk seems to have a MUCH bigger user base, and thus more support, a bigger community to ask questions to, etc.

Is this accurate? Is there a consensus on which is better? Or will one of these solutions not even work the way I think it will?

thanks.

Brian Postow
Senior Software Engineer
Acordex Imaging Systems