Re: [hylafax-users] Fax Broadcasting / Blasting

Billy Kimble wrote:
We're trying to set up an efficient fax broadcaster / blaster using Hylafax. I've searched the archives and the net, and all of the information I'm seeing is either out of date or wrong for what we're trying to accomplish. Most of the users on our system send only a handful of faxes, spread out through the day. These are the users we like because they have a consistent rate of sending. A single modem is used for these customers for a few minutes, then it is happily released and ready to pick up or send the next fax.

Then you have your blasters and broadcasters. Our application supports sending as many faxes as your subscription allows for. This means that users will send 500 - 1000 faxes at a time. Right now, we're using the Hylafax FTP client to submit n-number jobs based on how many destinations the user wants to send to. The faxes are identical, there are just a lot of destinations. When this happens, all 23 of our modems get bogged down with sending this 1 persons swarm of faxes, and no modems are available to pick up or send for other customers. They are hogging the machine with their blasting.

It sounds like you need to make use of "ModemGroup"-ing. So when a user submits a "broadcast" fax make sure that it gets submitted to a certain ModemGroup that does not consume all of your modems (i.e. the default "any" ModemGroup).

So in your /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config file (faxq configuration) you put something like this:

ModemGroup: broadcast:ttyS[0-2]

Then when the broadcast faxing is sent for the user make sure that the "modem" (ModemGroup) is specified such as this with sendfax:

sendfax -h broadcast@ -z list faxfile.pdf

Thanks,

*Lee Howard*
*Mainpine, Inc. Software Development Lead*
Tel: +1 866 363 6680 ext 805 | Fax: +1 360 462 8160
lee.howard@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com