Re: [hylafax-users] TIFF-FX support

Hi Lee,

Lee Howard wrote:
Steve Underwood wrote:
Hi all,

TIFF-FX is now quite an old spec, yet support seems almost non-existant. There was stuff around years ago to add the new tags introduced by TIFF-FX to libtiff, yet the latest libtiff 4.0.0 beta still doesn't recognise them. Does anyone know why they never made it in?

(Yes, I release this isn't the libtiff mailing list, but asking FAX related libtiff questions generally works better on this list)

Were these licensing issues ever resolved? :

http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2001-August/002907.php
In Feb 2005 RFC3949 was issued, documenting the enhanced TIFF-FX that deals with colour, JBIG, and everything else FAXy. I assume that means the patent issues were resolved. 2005 is a long time after the first drafts of that document, and the early interop test reports - I think they go back to 1999 - and that delay might have something to do with patent squabbles between Xerox and Adobe.

I see libtiff mailing list discussion spinning TIFF-FX in the following threads, but I wonder if there aren't patent encumbrances that have kept its support out of libtiff.

http://www.asmail.be/msg0055242217.php
http://www.asmail.be/msg0055080138.php

It's my guess, however, that any lack of TIFF-FX support in libtiff is merely due to previous lack of interest in the libtiff-using community. I suspect that it's going to take someone interested enough in this to get the necessary code work done, post it on the libtiff Bugzilla, and promote its incorporation on the libtiff mailing lists.

(If you act quickly you may be able to get this in to the 4.0 release. And I'd advise that since libtiff is a slow-moving creature. Note that the added monochrome JBIG support in 3.9 has taken me years to get where it is now, and 3.9 is *still* in beta.)
I can see how patent issues might affect some of the content - i.e. codec related patents - but it shouldn't really affect the tags. Those are common to all forms of FAX-in-TIFF.

libtiff 4.0.0 seems to have been in beta for as long as most Google products :-) Adding the tags isn't a big patch. If I produce one, how amenable have you found the libtiff guys to accepting things? I know you have had at least one non-standard tag added to libtiff - the FAX DCS one.

Regards,
Steve

Regards, Steve