[hylafax-users] t38modem: is this possible?

hi all

I'm using hylafax 4.3.1 from debian packages
I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with t38modem as
I'm having trouble getting it to work.
our company recently aquired a ricoh fax that supposedly supports t38
(it's called 'ip faxing' in the manual).

i was trying to send some faxes from hylafax to this machine, as it
could be useful in our structure.
the only thing I'm trying to do right now is forward incoming faxes to
this other machine.
everything will eventually happen inside a LAN.

i managed to set up t38modem and configuring it as a modem in hylafax.

however, I'm puzzled as to what command should I use to send the fax
directly to the other machine.
I thought It was possible to send it directly to the ip address,
without using gatekeepers or similar things. At least that's what I
understand from the ricoh manual, which does not go into much detail.
however, giving an ip address to sendfax is probabily not the way to go, as
sendfax -h ttyT38-1@xxxxxxxxx  -n -d "192.168.0.222" /etc/passwd
prompts hylafax to send the fax, and in the t38modem log I see some activity.
however, it tries to send the fax to 1921680222, it sends a 'busy'
message, and I see no network connection towards the fax's ip.

so I think maybe the address should be passed differently? or maybe
this is not even possible and it's something that works only on this
peculiar machines?
I'm trying to find some more informations on the t38 protocol but it
seems it's handled differently by different brands.
I don't even see why there's a need for a whole fax infrastructure to
send a file to another machine, I thought there could be just a small
command-line utility to accomplish what I'm trying to do...

any hint would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
davide