[hylafax-users] Could long distance be an issue?

Hi All,

We are using HylaFax v4.3.3 on a Fedora 6 box.  The server has run reliably for a few years.  Starting last Thursday about 7 PM EST, we started getting a very large percentage of errors “Failure to train remote modem”.  We replaced our modem with a Zoom Accura V.90 Serial External and configured it for Class 1.  We are still getting the same errors.

We’re located in Atlanta, Georgia, USA and have noticed that the failures only happen when sending a fax outside the local Atlanta dialing area.  We send a lot of faxes and all of our locale faxes are being delivered correctly.  On long distance transmissions, the modem has trouble negotiating a speed.  It will fail about 70-80% of the time and on the occasions when it is successful, it syncs up at 2400 baud and takes about 30  minutes to send each page.

Could this be a problem with modem configuration or is it more likely a problem with the telephone company?  How can I determine the source?

Thanks for any suggestions or brilliant suggestions,

Steve

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions