Re: [hylafax-users] How to rotate pages to send via Hylafax

Jorge Saraceno - Alicom Argentina wrote:
Pls can anyone help me on on which tool can I use to rotate the pages on
attached files to send vía Hylafax?
This is because sometimes I have attached to the emails different documents
with portrait or landscape orientation...

The "best" that can be done right now is to use this in /var/spool/hylafax/etc/FaxModify:

FIXEDWIDTH=-dPDFFitPage

... this should cause any landscape pages to be shrunk to fit horizontally onto a portrait page.

Understand that HylaFAX uses Ghostscript for all of its document processing, and thus for the auto-rotate feature to be properly placed... it should be in Ghostscript. You may want to bring this issue up with the Ghostscript development team.

Ghostscript doesn't give us any nice tools to do that in an automated fashion. There is a distiller AutoRotatePages feature, but I can't figure out if that is supposed to work in our usage and if it does what the right way to use it is.

If you know of some way to reliably get Ghostscript to auto-rotate landscape pages to portrait for both Postscript and PDF... then let us know. I looked into it two years ago and didn't find anything reliable.

Make sure that you consider the worse-case scenario where the user submits multiple files with multipage documents where some pages are rotated portrait while others are rotated landscape.

It's very difficult to "fix" this properly on HylaFAX's end. My opinion is that this is something that Ghostscript should be able to do.

Thanks,