Re: [hylafax-users] problem with a simple hylafax installation

http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Basic_Server_Configuration:Starting_
Inbound_Service

 Please make sure that you have faxgetty running from inittab for the serial
ports you're receiving faxes on. The wiki you posted is partially broken but
regardless it doesn't say anything about inittab. I doubt the configure
script inserts those lines because it has no idea how you're going to
configure the ports/modems.

 Believe me, you don't want to use USR modems for even a decent level of
faxing. An occasional fax is OK, but the modem will hang and cause all kinds
of remote errors on other fax machines if you use it very frequently. Buy a
set of Multitech's or a fax server board if you are going to be
sending/receiving a decent volume of faxes. As soon as I replaced my 56XX
USRs with Multitech ZBA modems I noticed no more hangs and only an
occasional sending error. Moving to a Mainpine server board was interesting,
to say the least, but the IQExpress 4-port board seems to be working better
than the ZBA modems after weeks(months?) of "to-do". Wait until kernel
2.6.28 is available standard in your distro before looking at the IQExpress.
:)

Glen Batchelor
IT Director
All-Spec Industries