Re: [hylafax-users] Scanner to fax resolution problem

Lee Howard wrote:

> Frank Millman wrote:
> > I tried monochrome (--mode=LineArt), but it gives a poor
> result. Most
> > of the light-blue lines disappear altogether. Maybe a
> better scanner
> > would give a higher quality, I don't know.
> >

> I've not met a scanner that didn't do what I needed to scan
> appropriately for faxing.  Sometimes it took a bit to get the
> settings right.  Make sure you're scanning at 200 dpi and
> monochrome.  Then try adjusting the "contrast" and
> "brightness" settings.  You'll eventually find a happy setting.

Thank you Lee, this was the push that I needed.

According to 'scanimage -h', both brightness and contrast are configurable
on my scanner. In practice, if I try to vary contrast, I get the message
'attempted to set inactive option contrast'. I don't know why.

No matter, I experimented with brightness, and got very acceptable results,
when combined with --mode=LineArt and --resolution=200. The resulting images
are small and fax much quicker as well - about 45 seconds.

I found that, depending on the clarity of the original document, different
settings of brightness were required for optimum results. Unfortunately the
xsane front end does not allow easy adjustment of this - it does not even
display the brightness setting if you select LineArt. I may have to write my
own front end, but I think the effort will be worth it in the long run.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.

Frank