[hylafax-users] Scanner to fax resolution problem

Hi all

I'm not sure if I should ask this here or on the 'sane' list, but I thought
I would try here first. Hope that's ok.

I have a small office network. Currently I am using Microsoft Shared Fax.
For faxing a scanned document, I use a Plustek OpticPro U24, which scans and
then invokes shared fax. It works well.

Now I want to move faxing over to a Fedora 10 server. I have installed
Hylafax+ 5.2.8. For testing, I am faxing documents between my Windows
machine and my Fedora machine. I have two identical modems, but only one
scanner, so I physically move it from one machine to the other.

So far everything works ok, with the exception that documents scanned on
Fedora and faxed to Windows come out with a poor resolution. I am using the
built-in xsane gui front end, but if I use the sane cli, I get the same
result.

I have a couple of clues, but don't know how to interpret them. This is what
I have found out.

I am using the same document for all tests. It is an A4 pre-printed form
with information filled in manually. When I scan it in Windows, it creates a
tiff file of about 137kb. After faxing, it comes out perfectly in Fedora. If
I then fax the same tiff file back to Windows, it also comes out perfectly.

If I scan the document on Fedora, it creates a tiff file of 3.9mb. It
displays perfectly on Fedora. After faxing to Windows, the tiff file on
Windows is 137kb, and resolution is poor. I imagine that the problem comes
from hylafax scaling the image down from 3.9mb to 137kb.

This is how I scan on Fedora -

    scanimage --mode Gray --resolution 200 --format tiff -x 215 -y 297 |
sendfax -n -m -d 1234567

I also tried writing the image to a file, using -

    scanimage --mode Gray --resolution 200 --format tiff -x 215 -y 297 >
/home/frank/test.tif

This is how I found out the file size. If I then do the following -

    sendfax -n -m -d 1234567 /home/frank/test.tif

it sends the fax ok, but with the same problem.

I tried scanning with a resolution of 100 and 150. It creates a smaller file
(though still much bigger than 137kb), but the background is very dark, so
not acceptable. I don't know why that happens.

I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Frank Millman