Re: [hylafax-users] failure to train remote modem at 2400 bps

cvb@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
It's obvious now what is the problem. That AT+FRS=1 is bad form. It
shouldn't be there. It's causing the sender to miss the receiver's CFR
signal. Please remove Class1ResponseWaitCmd from your modem config file.

I have to admit that it's still not obvious to me, but am happy to confirm that it did work. I could send the test fax now.

Back in 2002 I came across some USR modem that would report "OK" following TCF transmission before it actually dropped the TCF carrier. Furthermore, the following AT+FRH=3 command would somehow pick up on that TCF carrier and either report NO CARRIER when it actually did drop or would do even worse and report CONNECT.

The Class1ResponseWaitCmd was a workaround for that particular case. In retrospect it probably should have been suggested to use AT+FTS=1 instead of AT+FRS=1, but it should be understood that it is just a workaround for some limited messed up modems.

Looking at the probemodem results from your modem (and your information regarding AT&I and AT&R) indicates that your USR modem is substantially different from other USR modems I've seen. It's a shame that 3Com/USR has chosen to still give it a "5601" response following ATI0/ATI3.

Thanks,