Re: [hylafax-users] Converting files to PS

Jorge Saraceno - Alicom Argentina wrote:
Pls, can anybody help me and tell me what can I use to convert the following
files to PS?

MS Word .doc
MS Write .wri
MS Excel .xls
MS PowerPoint .ppt
MS Publisher .pub
Portable Document Format .pdf
Lotus 123 .123/.wk4/.wk5
Lotus Ami Pro .sam
Lotus Freelance .pre/.prz
PaperPort .max
WinFax .fxr/.fxs/frd
Jpeg .jpg
Tiff .tif
Paintbrush .pcx
Bitmap .bmp
HTML .htm

The best way is to get the user to convert them to Postscript themselves. There is no guarantee that any other converter (even those programs themselves) on any other system will be able to reproduce the image exactly the way that the user intends.

For example, imagine that a user submits HTML that sources images from a password-protected website. How will any external converting program be able to fetch those images?

That's just one example, but there are many similar kinds of things involving font availability, default page sizing, printer configuration, system settings, etc. that will all have a roll here.

If the user really wants the recipient to see the same thing that they intend them to see, then they need to do the conversion to Postscript themselves. So instead of trying to do that conversion on the server do something to help the user do the conversion themselves.

Thanks,