Re: [hylafax-users] Timeouts depending on disk drive!

Uwe Dippel ha scritto:
 > As promised, we have done a huge number of experiments with always the
same hardware (especially the same modem), with a number of operating
systems and CFs.

It remains conclusive that the Timeouts have not much to make with the
modem, contrary to what has been stated. I am still using the cheap
MODEM AGERE OCM V.92 VER2.7A (JUN 14 2004).
My test situation (the one that broke repeatedly) was a fax of > 20
pages, hyperfine. By now my experience stretches across several dozens
of such transmissions, usually lasting in the range of 1 hour each.
OpenBSD 4.2 running from hard disk would experience those timeouts
rarely (maybe 1 in 100 pages, if at all). The same version, simply
'dd'-ed to a CF, would have a large number of errors; in the range of
1 per 12 pages. Setting the CF to 'softupdates' would improve the
situation, without being optimal.

Against our earlier decision, I removed the CF from the embedded
system, plugged in another one (not a faster one, rather a slower
one), with Debian Testing installed, and not much else. Since then,
despite of  > 5 hours of sending hundreds of pages in hyperfine, we
did not experience a single "T.30 T2 timeout".
Please, no flames, I prefer OpenBSD to Debian any day; and I don't
want to imply that either is better or worse. However, our extensive
tests show 2 results:

1. T.30 T2 timeouts - at least in our case - cannot be attributed to
the cheap modem nor noisy lines (all is done directly from a
commercial PABX)

2. T.30 T2 timeouts depend on the operating systems as well as storage.

What is missing in your analisys is testing a more recent version of openbsd because this looks like a bug in openbsd 4.2.

thanks
riccardo