From: hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Dell'Aera
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:38 PM
To: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [hylafax-users] Modem Brand Request

Hello.
I've been experimenting with HylaFax for almost a month and so far I have had
a fair amount of success. However, I have yet to reach my goal. I would Like to
build an inbound only fax server with multiple PCI fax modems. When the fax calls
come in I would like to play and OGM that prompts the sender to enter an extension
number and route incoming faxes accordingly. So the server needs to read
DTMF (fax extension numbers) RELIABLY.

So my two questions are:
1. What is the make and model of the fax modem that is on the market today that
is the easiest to configure with HylaFax as described above? I would prefer to use a
Debian-based OS and would prefer a modem with packaged binary drivers.

2. Does HylaFax from hylafax.org support ALL of the requirements I stated above or
do I need to get the source from http://hylafax.sourceforge.net and do a manual install?

Sorry for these lazy questions, but I've been experimenting with an Intel 537EP PCI modem
for three weeks and I'm still having difficulty reading DTMF. I can see the dial tones RELIABLY
in my terminal during a cu session when I manually pick up on the fax machine and enter digits.
I can also see dial tone digits under Call ID in the syslog when I call the modem with a touchtone phone.
However, I see no evidence of DTMF detection when I send a fax and enter digits after being prompted
by the fax machine with a 500 millisecond tone.

I will close by saying thank you in advance. Your help will be much appreciated.
Thank you.
John