Re: [hylafax-users] Wrong number / fax/phone recognition...

Marcin Giedz wrote:
If there is any chance to recognize with Hylafax if calling number is wrong? I mean if number is busy everything is clear. But if number is wrong (too many digits or not enough digits or number doesn't exist) all I get is: too many attempts to dial. Is it possible to get different "connection failed reason"?

It's normally not possible to know with any degree of certainty that a dialed number was invalid or that it reached an unintended destination.

That said, users of a well-configured and well-maintained system will have good reason to learn that checking the number is one of the primary things to do for any failures.

And second thing: are we able to capture if calling number is fax number, I mean if remote fax responds this is clear, but if number is NOT busy and after N rings there is no response with FAX handshake, is it possible to assign "no remote fax available" as a fail reason? Does analog communication allow such feature?

On analog lines it's generally a very difficult process to identify whether or not a call was answered. However, some modems may do an adequate job of it, and in such cases they may make a distinction between "NO ANSWER" and "NO CARRIER". However, for the most part either of those mean essentially, "no remote fax available".

Thanks,