Re: [hylafax-users] ascii to ps convertion issue

Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
Enrique Arredondo typed (on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:27:34AM -0700):
Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
Hi,
Hi,  I'm not sure what this had to do with the previous message you
replied to, but...

I'm confused. Can you email me that previous message ?
I'm having an issue with the way sendfax converts ASCII to PS on different OS's, and I can't figure it out, I have a linux server running hylafax and if I send a fax within linux, I get a clean fax, so then I installed hylafax for SCO on another server so that I can use send faxes using sco's sendfax as a client through the linux server, the issue is that when I ran sendfax on SCO box, the ps is coming out different than the one generated by linux (when I compare the same ascii file).
The "textfmt" tool (sendfax uses this to convert ASCI -> PS) uses system
ghostscript fonts.

If you use sendfax -v, you can see how textfmt is run by sendfax.  You
should see something like:
	rule: offset 0 ascii = -- success (result postscript, rule "textfmt -B -f Courier-Bold -Ml=0.4in -p 11 -s %s >%o <%i")
	CONVERT "textfmt -B -f Courier-Bold     -Ml=0.4in -p 11 -s default >'/tmp//sndfaxQvIHCb' <'/tmp//sndfaxlPhLfK'"

With that, you'll be abel tos ee the exact textfmt invocation used, and
from that you can start chasing down what's different between the 2
systems.  Some of the things different could be:

1) Compile options (packages often vary them)
2) page sizes
3) typerule 4) Fonts available

etc.

Well I don't see any differences, so I guess it's the ghostscript version, because I tried it on SCO OSR6 and OSR507 with their respective hylafax installations and they both have the same result when it uses the LINUX hylafax server.

LINUX server ....>
rule: offset 0 ascii = -- success (result postscript, rule "%F/textfmt -B -f Courier-Bold -Ml=0.4in -p 11 -s %s >%o <%i")
CONVERT "/usr/local/sbin/textfmt -B -f Courier-Bold -Ml=0.4in -p 11 -s default >'/tmp//sndfaxgIf0YJ' <'/tmp//sndfaxANgK9s'"

SCO Server.... >
rule: offset 0 ascii = -- success (result postscript, rule "%F/textfmt -B -f Courier-Bold -Ml=0.4in -p 11 -s %s >%o <%i")
CONVERT "/usr/local/sbin/textfmt -B -f Courier-Bold -Ml=0.4in -p 11 -s default > '/tmp/sndfaxb003B5' < '/tmp/sndfaxa003B5'"

I'm wondering if somecan can run this command from their SCO box to my linux server, ( I need your IP address so I can Add on to my hosts.hyld file) and
let me know if you're getting the same output that I'm getting:

run this command please :

cal 2008 | sendfax -m -n -v -h outnow@xxxxxxxxxxx -d 91{ur fax machine} ( I need your IP address so I can Add on to my hosts.hyld file so it let's you fax)

I just sent 'cal 2008' from a client's OSR 6.0.0 machine via Hylafax to my own 6.0.0 machine. Looks perfect.

I'll send via your server after you tell me you've cleared my IP.

I found the solution, I changed typerules to use enscript for SCO instead of textfmt and voila! I'm getting now the right conversion to PS, seems that Metrics on SCO's Ghostscript is not calculating correctly for a linux hylafax server.