Re: [hylafax-users] Sometimes send and never receive

Chris Weiss wrote:
unless your server has a light load and your phone connection is
crystal clear, a soft modem is never going to be reliable for faxing.

I've run 256 soft modems (IAXmodems) on one system (a single 2GHz 64-bit AMD CPU) all of them simultaneously either sending or receiving, and it wasn't a problem in the testing. In fact, I did deliberately try to make it fail, and the point of failure was never the CPU load or memory load caused by the soft modems. The most likely point of failure involving CPU or memory loads was due to more than a hundred Ghostscript image conversions of large image files that (in a contrived scenario) all happened at exactly the same moment.

I'd venture to guess that the problem isn't so much with soft modems per se, but rather with the particular modem itself (soft or hard) being discussed. In this case the OP was discussing Linuxant, and this list has seen a vast number of ill reports regarding Linuxant modems.

As far as the need for crystal-clear connections... again, DSP tolerance will vary from modem to modem and it has relatively nothing to do with the modem being soft or hard.

Thanks,