Re: [hylafax-users] Can't receive faxes with Conexant/Linuxant PCI modem

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 12:05 -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
> I assume that you're using the Linuxant drivers to run the modem.

Yes.

> There have been numerous reports of fax problems using the Linuxant
> drivers.  This may be because people are trying to use the
non-licensed
> driver for faxing (you have to pay like $15 to get the fax-capable
> license).

I have a license, and I've tried both class 1 and 1.0.

> But in times past when I've researched it I've found numerous
> problems with their fax capabilities that caused me to simply switch
> a different modem at the time.

Actually, this is the second modem I tried.
The first was an external serial Elsa Microlink 56k Internet, but I
never got it to work. I've read that external serial modem are better
supported in general, but in my attempts the receive process failed, as
if it was some timeout (i.e. like 20 seconds). With this conexant the
receive process returns an error immediately (1-2 seconds), so I thought
I was getting closer to success ;).

> The only linmodems that were ever at all reliable for me in
production
> use was the ltmodem (Lucent linmodem) and the PCTel linmodem.  But
that
> was years ago... neither of those are manufactured any more.

Do you think I would have better chances with the external Elsa? I
couldn't get it to work so far...
May I post the logs :-D ?

> Thanks,
>
> Lee.