Re: [hylafax-users] suggestions for server board

Glen Batchelor wrote:
I currently have a set of MT ZBA modems in an incoming and outgoing pool.

Which ones, exactly? 5656? 5600? 5634? 2834?

They work decently for the most part in Class1, but we still have
problematic communications with various makes/models when sending faxes.

Have you sent session logs before for us to look at this problem?

Those problematic numbers never have a problem talking to our Canon
LaserClass 9000 when we send something manually. That convinces me to build
a hylafax server and pay for enterprise fax hardware.

Looking at the logs we may be able to make sense of the discrepancy there. When you test switching to the Canon do you unplug the line from the modem and plug it into the fax machine? Or is there some wiring or perhaps even a phone system involved in the difference?

The question is, for an analog 4-port board, which is the best board? I'm
not concerned about price as much as remote machine compatibility and line
noise handling. What I don't want, though, is to spend a few grand on a
stand-alone fax server and end up with the same PPS/MPS errors that I see
now. I know that they will happen occasionally due to line problems. I would
like to see less training and page errors than with the MT modems and better
support for higher resolution and such.

Consider the Mainpine IQ Express 4-port if you're going to change modems. I don't expect that you'll have any reproducible problems, but if you do we can certainly get them fixed... whether it be in software (HylaFAX) or in the modem firmware.

Thanks,

*Lee Howard*
*Mainpine, Inc. Software Development Lead*
Tel: +1 866 363 6680 ext 5 | Fax: +1 360 462 8160
lee.howard@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com