Re: [hylafax-users] Cover Page comments upside down

Lucas Burdick wrote, on 25.07.2008 00:33:

| I was unable to get faxcover to work directly from the command line so
I couldn't test my assumption.

Hello Lucas,

I used this faxcover command line (with some text from a manpage as
comments) for testing:

faxcover -C PSIcoverunlimited2.ps -t "this is to" -p 13 -l "to location"
- -r "this is regarding" -v "to voice number" -x "this is to company" -L
"this is from location" -N "from fax number" -V "from voice number" -X
"from company" -f "this is from" -n "fax number" -c "This  manual page
intends to document which manual pages are missing in
various sections.  Bug reports against the package manpages-dev or manpages
were opened for all of them through the Debian Bug Tracking System
(BTS).  Some of these bug reports were reported upstream while some" >!
cover.ps

| I transposed x,y coordinates all over the place in my Breakintolines
routine trying to fix the possible issue that you have described, but to
no avail.

transpose alone does not help, you have to use scale as well.

In the file I found these two lines:

72 0 MU 72 11 MU TR
72 128 DI 100.000 MU 100 DI DU NE SC

The first translates the origin to 0 inch; 11 inch, the second scales
the coordinate unit to 72/128 and negates the y coordinate (DU NE is dup
neg), so the y coordinate goes down, not up.

To compensate this, the code generated by Tgif uses makefont instead of
scalefont. Otherwise all text would be printed upside down like your
comments.
example:

% TEXT
NP
0 SG
~   GS
~      1 W
~      60 167 M
~      GS
~            0 SG
~            /Helvetica-Bold FF [17 0 0 -17 0 0] MS
~            (To) SH
~      GR
~   GR

Since BreakIntoLines is provided by the faxcover program, you cannot
change it. You could replace it by your own version, but I chose to use
a coordinate transformation to make it work.

Change the end of your file like this:

GR
/y 486 def /x 216 def % this is your original comments position
x y translate         % make this the origin
gsave                 % not really necessary because nothing is drawn
after this
/x 0 def /y 0 def     % now the position is (0;0)
1 -1 scale            % now y coordinate goes up again
/Courier findfont 11 scalefont setfont
/rule
(___________________________________________________________________)def
/lineheight 20 def
% change the 10 to modify the number of lines (11 = 10+1)
% or remove this lien if you don't want the lines at all
y lineheight neg dup 10 mul { x exch M rule SH } for
rule stringwidth pop lineheight x y comments BreakIntoLines
grestore              % restore state (could be removed with gsave)
GR
end
showpage

Bodo