[hylafax-users] 500 'user ': Syntax error, expecting user name.

Sirs,

I am updating a client's HylaFAX server.  The client bought a new server on which I installed CentOS 5.  I installed HylaFAx from an rpm (hylafax-4.4.4-1rhel5.i386.rpm).  The server sends and receives faxes as expected using sendfa and faxgetty.

The "hosts.hfaxd" file in /var/spool/hylafax/etc is owned b y uucp:uucp and set to 600.   I have a simple file that looks like:
localhost
127.0.0.1
10.0.0.173     #my workstation
10.0.0.199   # another workstaion
10\.0\.0\.        # the entire inside network
192\.168\.112\. # the entire DMZ network

The server and my workstation are both on the 10.0.0.x  (inside) network.  I moved the server after reading there may be an interaction with the Watchguard firewall on my network.

The issue is, no matter how I configure the hosts.hfaxd file, every client I try results in the message the server is expecting a user name.  When I add a user name and and password to the hosts.hfaxd file,  it reports "login incorrect."  Telnet to the sever on port 4559 and running stat also has a line it is waiting for user name.

I have searched everywhere I could find for clues abut how to remedy this and none of the recommendations I found have worked. No errors are written to the message log, the error is reported back to the client.  It seemingly is not reading the hosts.hfaxd file but does not report that in the message log. Is the syntax wrong?

I did not have this problem with the last HylaFAX server I set up for this client.  I am ready to ask for help.  Does anyone have suggestions about what I should try to resolve this issue?

If so, i appreciate it.  Thank you.

Bill

Bill Graham
www.ebizserv.com