Re: [hylafax-users] Gnome client with modem selection

* Giuliano David <g.david@xxxxxx> [080610 09:52]:
> So, if I well understood, the idea is the following: an application
> printing to this "special printer" has to use a postscript driver, then
> has to pipe the ps file to the kde (gnome) dialog you suggest, get the
> fax number and modem to use from the user input, then invoke sendfax.
> Hummmm .. It seems to me the right direction to move on. But how to
> create this "special printer" in CUPS? I have also to let this special
> printer use Apple12/640 ps driver.
> Thanks for your good sugestions Aidan

I'm not a CUPS expert, but from my understanding, once it get's to CUPS,
it's *too late* to interact with the user to get the number/modem/etc.

You need to find a way to interact with the user *before* the "backend
server", (i.e. cupsd) get's the job.

So for me, I use a "KDE Pseudo" printer, I'm sure gnome has a simliar
cabability.  I don't know how (or if it's even possible) to do that with
the cups client tools.

The CUPS "hylafax" backends I've seen so far, all try to "find" the
job information (like number) embedded in the PostSript... Not something
I've ever had a lot of success with.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103