Re: [hylafax-users] Samba FAXing

Hi Bill

In my case, we use a method that's a little complex but it works well. I installed the fax module on all the M$ machines. This lets us use the cover sheets available from M$. Then instead of sending the print job, select the Preview option. From here we then send the job to HylaFax using WinPrintHylafax. The results are:
a) you get a very professional looking fax cover sheet without having to create one for yourself and you have a choice of different cover sheets to choose from.
The trick with the sambafax script is that you can use EVERY formating
(eg. templates, watermarks, pictures etc.) with every word processing
software and directly printing it to the sambafax.

sambafax uses ps2ascii for detecting the fax number SOMEWHERE inside your
document (restriction: the dectection text must be in the same font). In
my case I wanted that sambafax uses our (switzerland) fax number format
(thats why I changed the script ;) ).

b) the copy of the sent fax saved on the Hylafax server includes the cover sheet
Because the fax will be sent throu HylaFax a copy of the original fax
will be stored on the server too.

c) WinPrintHylafax is free. A little bit limited, but it's free
The script and CUPS are free too.

In my eyes the solution via IPP (Internet printing protocol) has different advantages:

- You can use any kind of postscript drivers (also colour)
- It's easy to customize
- You can send faxes from everywhere on the world
- Your'e not depending on the OS (IPP / CUPS printing works with
  windows, linux, solaris etc.)

Kind regards

Rolf (aka spieler67)

*/Rolf Ackermann <rolf.ackermann@xxxxxxx>/* wrote:

Hi Karmit

I'm using CUPS together with a script called "SambaFax".

For installing you have to:

    a) Search on the internet for "sambafax"
    b) Install the script into "/usr/lib/cups/backend"
    c) Modify the faxnumber extraction (I've changed it for switzerland)
    d) make it executable
    e) Create a printer called "SambaFax" with CUPS frontend
    f) 98SE: Install the IPP Printer option
    g) Install a PS printer driver (doesn't important which) and use
    ipp://[CUPS server name]:631/printers/SambaFax

That's it.

Kind regards

Rolf (aka spieler67)

     > Hi !
     >
     > Does anyone using Samba FAXing ? I just try this today, hoping
    for a more universal & simple solution for sending FAX to the Server
    from different versions of Windows (98SE, XP, 64 bit Vista).

     > I just followed the instructions from the operation manual on the
    HylaFAX site. Finally, I get "access denied" to the faxlp. I have
    already set the print share to allow guest. Samba is in Share Level.
    I can share the received FAX to everybody on the same workgroup. My
    Server is running Hyla FAX 4.4.4 on CentOS 3.9, I cannot find lpd,
    so CUPS is the answer. But, the instructions from the manual suggest
    me to consult a website for settings with CUPS which has disappeared.

     > There is another one list in HylaFAX site, "smbfax". But, I do
    not get enough instruction on how to make it work. Maybe I need to
    upgrade myself. I know nothing about Perl.