Re: [hylafax-users] No response to PPS repeated 3 times

Alex R [MaxoTel] wrote:

What I pasted before is what happens when I sent to the Asterisk fax server (which receives faxes fine from everywhere else, including a real fax connected to the same line as the new modem – which would tell you something funky is happening with the modem).

Now I just did a Faxstream test fax, and the results came back that the Fax modem was 4.7dB too low. (Transmission level: -22.7dBm). The default for the modem is the highest it goes according to the manual below. I did the same faxstream test with the real (canon) fax, and it reported being 2.4dB too low – perhaps this is having an impact on whether it works properly or not.

At least I know that it seems capable of sending faxes to places other than Asterisk (which is most places), but I’d hate to think that it could just be a setting I’ve got wrong… any ideas?

Thanks!

**Regards,**

Alex R

Hi, Alex. In /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf, check for:

rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0

change it to, or add it as:

rxgain=2.0
txgain=2.0

... gain is in DB. You must *restart* (not reload) Asterisk for the changes to take effect. Test with this, and increment in 0.5db changes as required.

A good tool that most people over-look is "ztmonitor [channel number] -v" ; it will give you a graphical representation of the noise characteristics of your line. If you have a T1, use channel 1. Asterisk must be shutdown, and Zaptel loaded/ configured for this to work.

Good luck, and post back!

--

	--Michel R Vaillancourt
	Independent oDesk Contractor since February, 2008

	For non-critical support issues, please contact me via email at mvaillancourt@xxxxxxxxx
	For more urgent issues, please contact me via Yahoo! Messenger at michel_vaillancourt

begin:vcard
fn:Michel Vaillancourt
n:Vaillancourt;Michel
adr:;;;Montreal;;H8R 1J1;Canada