Re: [hylafax-users] Modem hangs till poweroff

Sounds like a bad serial port, as that's the only variable so far that I see (besides hylafax or the OS).
This happens on mine from time to time, but to remedy, I have my fax server change run levels every night (resets all the hylafax stuff this way), but yours might need some kind of serial port test. Does your system have any free USB ports on it? You can purchase a USB to Serial adapter for cheap and see if it's the built in serial port on your system or software related.

Thanks,
Michael

Héctor Sánchez Sanmartín wrote:
Dear all,

I've got Hylafax v4.3.4 installed on a CentOS 4.3, configured with one Multitech MT5656ZDXE external modem (connected via the serial port) as sending/receiving fax server.

Normally it operates fine but sometimes after reporting a failure in fax receiving, the modem hangs (hylafax starts sending the "modem on /dev/ttyS0 appears wedged") without any chance to recover it. If I try to communicate to the modem (using minicom or wvdialconf) it reports there is no modem.

I reseted the modem (switching the power off and on) but it continues hanging. I even reseted the whole server and still the same. The only way I found to make the modem work again (a dirty one) is to poweroff the server, disconnect the modem to the serial port, wait for a while, reconnect the modem and the power to the server, boot the server and everything works again. I tried after one of these hungs to connect the modem to another machine, and it worked fine!! But then I connected it back to the original server and still couldn't communicate with it.

The problem is that I cannot reproduce the hung, it only happens from time to time (not very often) but its very annoying as I need to poweroff the server. I changed the modem to a new one and today it happened again. I bought these Multitech modems because they are supposed to work fine with Hylafax (I got the same trouble with US Robotic modems in the past), but I start to suspect that the problem comes from Hylafax that somehow blocks the serial port or something.

Had someone experienced the same trouble? Any way to unlock the serial port on this cincumstances without having to poweroff the server?

Any clue or help`you could provide to solve this touble would be more than welcome! I'm quite desperate about it :(

Thanks a lot in advance