[hylafax-users] Problem with building Hylafax 5.2.2 on SUSE Linux 10.0...

Hi,
As per Lee's recommendation I downloaded the hylafax 5.2.2 source from sourceforge. I exracted the tarball so the folder hylafax-5.2.2 resides under /usr/src. When I go to compile a build the script bombs with the following error:

Compilation of the following test program failed:

#include
#include "tiffio.h"
main()
{
printf( "header_ver=%d lib_ver=%s", TIFFLIB_VERSION, TIFFGetVersion() );
exit(0);
}

TIFFINC=/usr/local/include
LIBTIFF=-L/usr/local/lib -ltiff

Verify that you have the TIFFINC and LIBTIFF configuration parameters
set correctly for your system (see above) and that any environment
variables are setup that are needed to locate a libtiff DSO at runtime
(e.g. LD_LIBRARY_PATH). Also be sure that any relative pathnames are
made relative to the top of the build area.

I have LibTIFF installed, at least I think so - in fact when I was doing a system update via YaST it said something about LibTIFF 3.7.3. In any event, in looking through my sysem I have a folder named tiff-3.8.2 under /usr/local.
I suspect my problem is, being relatively new to Linux, I installed LibTIFF to the wrong location, or at least not where the application I want to install is expecting to find the libraries.
If I am correct in my analysis, would someone please help me correct it so I can compile and install the application?
On another note, in reading the hylafax instruction pages at sourceforge, I came across the following paragraph:

If you are using an environment that supports DSOs and HylaFAX supports DSOs in your enviornment (i.e. Linux), then you must ensure that your /etc/ld.so.conf (or equivalent) file contains a reference to /usr/local/lib or wherever libfaxserver.so and libfaxutil.so were installed. (Remember that if you alter /etc/ld.so.conf you must run ldconfig afterwards.)

Well, on my system I do not have a /etc/ld.so.conf but rather /etc/ld.so.conf.d and it is a folder, not a file.
More info - under /usr/lib I have the following libtiff related files:
libtiff.so.3
libtiff.so.3.7.3
libtiffxx.so.3
libtiffxx.so.3.7.3