[hylafax-users] why can't I probe the modem?

Hi,
   My computer system is fedora 7,kernel 2.6.21. I just install the hylafax-4.4.4 and other needed software like ghostscript and libtiff etc.
   Then I run the probmodem. The system display below:

[root@bjhualun ~]# probemodem
Serial port that modem is connected to []? ttyS0
Sorry, the device is currently in use by another program.
[root@bjhualun ~]# probemodem
Serial port that modem is connected to []? ttyS0
Sorry, the device is currently in use by another program.
[root@bjhualun ~]# probemodem
Serial port that modem is connected to []? ttyS1

Now we are going to probe the tty port.  This takes a few seconds,
so be patient.  Note that if you do not have the modem cabled to
the port, or the modem is turned off, this may hang (just go and
cable up the modem or turn it on, or whatever).

Probing for best speed to talk to modem:
Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the
correct device and/or that your modem is setup properly.  If
all else fails, try the -s option to lock the speed.
[root@bjhualun ~]# probemodem
Serial port that modem is connected to []? ttyS1

Now we are going to probe the tty port.  This takes a few seconds,
so be patient.  Note that if you do not have the modem cabled to
the port, or the modem is turned off, this may hang (just go and
cable up the modem or turn it on, or whatever).

Probing for best speed to talk to modem:
Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the
correct device and/or that your modem is setup properly.  If
all else fails, try the -s option to lock the speed.

I use the extenal modem. At the first time I use an intel 5628 chips modem. Then I change a Hayes accura 336 and a U.S. Robotics Sportster 33.6 Faxmodem. All those three modem display the same message and can not be use.

Please help me to deal with the problem. What can I do?
--
Merlin 缪
www.bjhualun.com

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions