Re: [hylafax-users] Ghostscript vulnerability

Uwe Dippel wrote:
Lee Howard wrote:

The vulnerability for HylaFAX deployments is mitigated by the amount of trust in the allowed fax senders. If your sender pool is quite restricted and well-trusted then your exposure is quite limited. If your sender pool is quite open and untrusted (i.e. TPC cells) then you may be at greater risk.

Howard, If I am not mistaken, some are completely protected: Receive-Only installs cannot be overrun.
Actually, since it is a buffer overflow in ghostscript for incoming .ps files, *any* install / setup, in which users cannot deliver PostScript files to hylafax are save. (Most can, though, I guess.)

I believe that this is correct on all points.

Be aware, though, that I have seen many receive-only systems later get re-used as a receive+send system... so it's important to not only consider how the system is being used presently, but also how it may possibly be used in the future.

Again, I wasn't trying to raise any serious alarm. Most deployments are not likely to be imminently exploited... but as there are many consultants and IT professionals on this list who are expected to be aware of these kinds of risks, I simply wanted to raise awareness.

Thanks,