[hylafax-users] FHS:54 error (no EOP signal) in sending faxes.

In a new installation with newly-bought modem (USR 56K external) I have a
difficulty in sending faxes: The modem connects, seems to finish its
negotiaion and transmit the fax, then after a time announces that it has
a FHS:54 error. The recipient fax machine announces to its owner
only "Communication failure".

I have found in the archives of this list a list of fax error codes. I now
understand from the list of codes that the meaning of the FHS:54 error is
that an EOP signal was not acknowledged by the recipient machine; it is
unclear to me if that means it didn't get one, or whether what it sent
back was defective, or something else.

Since the recipient machine has been operating normally for a long time
without problems, and is therefore probably reliable, I am assuming that
the difficulty is somehow at my end. If someone has some insight into
this error, I would be very grateful for any advice on how to deal with
it.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on