Re: [hylafax-users] hylafax and bulkfax with sambaprinter

Chris Weiss wrote:
On Feb 12, 2008 4:08 AM, Christian <christian@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

I have a problem with bulk faxing over Word2003.

We want to send bulk fax over Word2003 using the circular letter function
and printing over a sambaprinter to hylafax (sambafax script from the
hylafax help).
The problem is, that word creates one document with several pages,
including more than one "Fax-Nr" entries to print the job. Sambafax finds
several Faxnumbers and creates one line with all numbers and send all pages
to this number (like this:  fax number 04043277xxx0421655xxx0351810xxx
(replaced the last 3 numbers with an x))

The letter has normaly one page and 3 recipients.
The postscript doc delivered to sambafax is only one file with 3 pages.

Our salesteam wants to send personal faxes, so a solution with whfc is not
practicable.

just to be clear, and to refresh me on how Word works, if you were to
print to a normal printer, you'd get one print job with 3 pages, each
page with a different reciepients personal info on it, correct?

assuming correct, what you want hylax, or sambafax, to do is to detect
when there is a new "Fax-Nr" in a document and break the document up
at that page so that you end of with 3 different fax jobs, each to a
different recipient and each being a separate page drawn from the
original document?  hopefully stated like this, you see how
complicated this is.  I don't think any print-to-fax solution is going
to handle this for you automatically, the users would need to print
each page one at a time so each is a separate job, or train Word to do
it for them, maybe with a macro.  I think coding a Word macro to print
each page on it's own would be much easier and more reliable than
trying to detect fax-nr and break apart a postscript document in just
the right places and then rebuild it keep the formating.

Hey,

thx for reply.
you are correct, thats the way word send the job.

I found a way to change this behavior with a macro.
So the sales team create a template including this macro and everything works as wanted. The only disadvantage is, that it is not possible to use the function without this macro.

If my perlknowledge sometime is better, I will try to create a new sambafax script for the printer2fax function.
Tomorrow I'll post the macro and a small howto to help other people find a solution.

by
Christian