Re: [hylafax-users] Troubles with external USRobotics

Michael Hallager wrote:
Mainpine vs. Multitech
Cons- high price.

We don't strive to make the cheapest fax board, just the best. Is $399 (US) 'really' such a high price to pay for a fax board when you consider the amount of support and development that you are investing in ?

Pros- can be reset using Hylafax 'wedge' process, higher density of lines possible without requirement for serial interface due to internal design.

Personally, I think that working with a vendor who's developing the latest hardware, firmware, and software is important. This is especially true as you move forward and new fax machines are released. Venus firmware development ceased three or more years ago and that's why investing in new technology is important.

Multitech vs. Mainpine
Cons- requires serial support (uncommon on new motherboards) to use with Linux.
Pros- lower price for v.34 capability

Biggest red hearing in the M vs. M debate- So far I have found nothing to substantiate any of the claims made on this list against Multi Tech in regard to either it's stability or customer support.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here.... with regards to HylaFAX support I don't see modem vendors actively contributing to this newsgroup, although I have no doubt that they 'lurk' here.

My two biggest 'wish list' items for Hylafax-

1. Color send support
2. Send polling

Colour is a real niche... I suspect that you will have to get your check book out if you want this in the near future.

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com