Re: [hylafax-users] adaptive-answer problems on an Agere modem -- resolved

I have figured out why I was losing when I was trying to make adaptive-answer
work in hylafax. Below, I describe my fix.

I'm curious to know

- Has anyone else had this problem? Is the "DATA / CONNECT ..." text
  sequence unique to my Trendnet modem?

- Does anyone have a better idea for fixing the problem than the little
  getty wrapper script I include below?

The issue and my solution is completely described by the following script,
which I installed in /var/spool/hylafax/bin/delay-getty.

My modem is a Trendnet TFM-560X modem. It communicates with the local computer
via RS-232 serial line -- i.e., it is *not* a winmodem / soft modem. It answers
  Agere OCM V.92 Ver2.7a (Jun 14 2004) Voice Mercury DP2SH mode-ii SERIAL
to an AT+FMM query.

Here are the lines I had to add to my config.ttyS0 file to get it to
take data calls as well as fax calls (plus installing the script below):
------
# Listen with adaptive-answer on so I can both fax & make data calls
# into the system.
ModemSetupAACmd:	AT+FAA=1
# -h tells agetty to use rts/cts flow control.
GettyArgs:		"-h %s %l"
------
    -Olin

/var/spool/hylafax/bin/delay-getty
#!/bin/sh -
/usr/sbin/chat CONNECT
exec /sbin/getty "$@"
exit 1

# When my Trendnet TFM-560X modem is in adaptive-answer mode (AT+FAA=1),
# it outputs
#     DATA			<-- immediately
#
#     CONNECT 31200 V42bis	<-- about 10 seconds later
# when you dial into it with a data call. If the receiving computer sends
# anything down the serial line to the modem *before* the connection is
# completely set up -- i.e., before the "CONNECT ..." text is sent to
# the receiving computer, then the modem will drop the connection & hang up.
#
# This is what happens. Immediately after receiving the "DATA" string,
# hylafax hands off to getty. In the 10 or so seconds while the modem
# is setting up the connection, getty sends text prematurely down the serial
# to the modem, which promptly drops the connection. You lose.
#
# *This* getty delays running the real getty until it has seen the "CONNECT ..."
# line. You install it for hylafax by setting the /etc/hylafax/getty-link
# symlink to point to it:
#     ln -s /var/spool/hylafax/bin/delay-getty /etc/hylafax/getty-link
#
# Note that if the modem is *not* in adaptive-answer mode, then you *don't*
# want to use this hack. In that case, the modem doesn't send anything to
# the receiving computer until the connection is set up and it sends
#     CONNECT 31200 V42bis
# This is when hylafax hands off to getty, so the chat will wait for
# the CONNECT string which has already come & gone.
#
# I believe that mgetty has a built-in chat facility; you could get the
# effect of this script by giving it the right arguments. But I don't
# know mgetty well enough to set that up.
#     -Olin