Re: [hylafax-users] Hardware suggestions to get Hylafax running?

Joshua Kinard wrote:
I'm guessing with the lack of hardware on that OpenVOX, The server's CPU will be doing a little bit of legwork too?

IAXmodem is an entirely software modem... so all of the work is being done by the CPU. However, the CPU usage should normally be negligible.

On the software side, Any asterisk resources I can go take a gander at that discusses this particular implementation?

Google a bit... read through the website: http://iaxmodem.sourceforge.net.

I'm assuming Asterisk is being used in a very minimal config as an interface to the T1 card via this libiax mechanism I saw mentioned on IAXmodem's site. Or does it handle more things, like the DID parsing and all?

In the minimalist implementation (just to serve as a bridge between the hardware and IAXmodem) Asterisk is doing very, very little... basically only channelizing the T1 into IAX2 channels that the iaxmodem process can accept. You can make Asterisk do more (like DID-specific work), but you don't have to.

W/r to IAXmodem, what's the resource usage per channel when idle and off hook?

On hook... nearly nothing. Off hook... each iaxmodem instance uses 0.2% of my CPU on a Pentium II 400 MHz.

Pretty minimal I assume?

Yes, quite.

I won't be using all available lines on the T1 anyways. I only have two PRI's feeding the Rolm (46 channels), so I'll have to limit how many simultaneous inbound and outbound calls this thing can do.

You do that simply by creating a limited number of iaxmodems.

Thanks,