Re: [hylafax-users] which class to use

Lee Howard wrote:
Terry wrote:
UUCPLockDir:        /var/lock
UUCPLockType:        ascii

Those were the two lines that gave me headaches before because they weren't there the last time about 5 or 6 years back. Had to add them again.

Are you using FreeBSD or something?
Kubuntu.
How do you know that these are the proper settings?

I was using Fedora Core 5 until the computer died a silent death. I was using HylaFAX and the same external data/fax modem with FC 5. Took a week or so and a lot of help from the good people on this mailing list to get HylaFAX to work under FC 5. Adding the 2 above lines were all that was needed under FC 5. So I just took the precautionary action of peremptorily adding them this time. Are they the proper settings - I don't really know. I added them before attempting to send a test fax. The test fax worked, but that doesn't mean that it would not have worked without the 2 added lines.
How do you propose that HylaFAX detect these settings automatically?
There I would have absolutely no idea. HylaFAX is a tool I use and I am NOT an expert in HylaFAX or its installation by any means. I merely sent the information to the mailing list since I have been getting the mailing list updates for a few years and know that many experts such as yourself are actively supporting HylaFAX. I just thought that this would be some more data that you could maybe use. If maybe someone had a problem getting HylaFAX to work properly under Linux, the above 2 lines may be one possible suggestion to use.

Would it be better to run as class 2 (which I think was one of the optioons output from the cu command) rather than class 1? or maybe one of the other classes output??

If your modem supports Class 1 or Class 1.0 then it's generally best to use that with modern HylaFAX versions.

Okay - Thanks - I'll leave it at 1 then

Terry