Re: [hylafax-users] Mainpine, v.34, color faxing and Hylafax debate continued...

Michael Hallager wrote:
Lee has expressed a desire to implement colour send but without the
financial support of the community I doubt that he will be able to
complete this work in the near future.  Mainpine already actively
supports HylaFAX development and will continue to do so.

Unfortunately, colour fax is a niche for many users which is why you've
had little response I guess.
I personally think the little response has more to do with the expected 'free' nature of Open Source Software.

Actually my "lack of response" has everything to do with the lack of desire for color fax sending among my clients. Color fax reception was developed (somewhat on a whim) with them in mind, but as JPEG faxes are *MUCH* bigger than JBIG or MMR faxes and thus that *MUCH* longer to receive - in every case they have instructed me to disable color support in their configuration.

It's been years now... and the reason I haven't gotten around to implementing color fax sending in "hobby interests" is that to do it right it's a comparatively big project. It involves learning JPEG, libjpeg, and implementing proper ITULAB JPEG support in libtiff (without patching libjpeg). I just haven't had that much "hobby time" for such a project for a long time. I have to put my time to where my clients' needs are.

Thanks,