Re: [hylafax-users] IAXmodem - slinear or alaw?

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I am installing IAXmodem 1.0. A member of the Centos list built an rpm.

So I am configuring and the first thing I notice different is the codec: slinear.

My notes list alaw as the codec to use. What is slinear, and where do I get the Asterisk module for it?

Asterisk supports slinear natively just as it does ulaw and alaw. You can use any of these three codecs with IAXmodem.

slinear takes more bandwidth in the IAX2 channel, but it makes it so that iaxmodem doesn't have to convert the channel into slinear (as it does for ulaw and alaw) because spandsp operates on slinear audio data.

However, there have been some bugs with Asterisk in the past dealing with x86_64 systems and slinear (it would get the bit order wrong, if I remember right), and so using ulaw or alaw may actually be a more portable approach.

Thanks,