Re: [hylafax-users] Adaptive Answer

> Hi,
>
> I need to run Hylafax from a shared line with my phone.
>
> My phone has an ansaphone which picks up after 7 rings.
>
> If the incoming transmission is a fax, then I need the fax to be taken by
> Hylafax.
> If the incoming transmission is voice, then I need this to be taken by the
> phone, and, if I am away, to be taken by the ansaphone.
>
> Hylafax v. 4.3.4
> SME Server 7.3
> Multitech Fax Data Modem MT5600ZDX
> The config.ttyS0 file is below
>
> If what I want cannot be achieved with the above modem, please suggest a
> suitable alternative and or correct any errors below.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Let's put this under "can't be done," at least, not in the way you describe.

The phone must be answered in order to detect anything (of course) and the
initial assumption -must- be voice, because a human would expect to be
spoken to, rather than hear silence while something waits for fax tones,
trying to determine if they're a fax device or not.

How this would normally work is that an auto attendant would pick up the
phone and give an announcement while simultaneously listening for fax
tones, then if fax tones are detected, the call is routed to the fax
machine, or routed elsewhere if human.

Outside a PBX system, one has a problem with the "routing" concept, as
whatever picked up the phone has no means of transferring it elsewhere --
leaving you with the option of it handling the call itself, or hanging up.