Re: [hylafax-users] One question about sending fax...

hui zhuu wrote:
> I am just curious to ask what will happen when the
> receiver manually pick up the phone in the process of
> initiating a sending operation?

Normally? Normally the modem will be playing CNG beeps. To anyone with a
fax machine on their voice line this should be a clue that...

> Can hylafax notify the receiver with a message like "I
> am sending a fax, drop me a fax signal"?

... when hearing those beeps the receiver should know that it's a fax
machine calling. However, some modems may possibly be able to detect the
non-fax machine and may then report "NO CARRIER"... although I'm sure
those modems could be made to not give up.

> Or just hylafax thinks the other end not a fax machine
> and withdraw with a failure?

If the modem does not hear CED or V.21 HDLC from the receiver within...
maybe 30 seconds then it will give up. Otherwise it should continue
playing beeps.

However, if you're consistently running into this problem you can use
the HylaFAX+ "play" escape feature with a voice modem to play a voice
message before starting up the fax beeping... that's a bit tricky to do,
and I'd generally advise against doing it as you could cause some fax
detection services to incorrectly detect your call as voice instead of fax.

Thanks,