Re: [hylafax-users] Trying to piece together a email to fax server

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I thought I knew how to do this, but the more I did, the less Iknew. So I threw everything out and started reading again.

It seems the practice is to use the rfc822 format of: user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think that you mean "user@xxxxxxxxxx" (no domain). It's one way. I have seen lots of people use number@xxxxxxxxxxx

The goal is to send the fax to phone number 'number' and have it identified as for 'user'.

E-mail so versatile that the user can be in quotes, even... "Your Name" <number@xxxxxxxxxx>... but it depends on how you're going to use it. Since you seem to be following faxmail below then you should probably start by sticking with the user@xxxxxxxxxx approach, yes.

This requires first using a DNS mx record with a wildcard. So you would have to two DNS records:

fax.domain.    IN    A    1.2.3.4
*.fax.domain.    IN    MX    10,fax.domain.

No... it's an SMTP thing only. You configure the SMTP to send all .fax to faxmail.

Then to your sendmail.mc add:

       define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/faxmail')dnl
       define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f')dnl
       MAILER(`fax')dnl

I didn't double-check this, but yes, it looks familiar.

But there is no comment on where these are to be in the sendmail.mc file.

I'm not sure that it matters. I usually put it with the other similar-looking things, but I'm not sure that it matters.

but is this right? You want to run a script for processing the mail? Is the above enough? what of the script at:

http://www.hylafax.org/site2//howto/clients/mailfax

Ignore this. It'll just confuse you.

And what of spamassassin? You want it to trash spam, not try to fax it. How do you get spamassassin to run first. Also some of the other spammer tools (if the from address is invalid reject, can't remember right now that tool).

Well, this is the exercise for you to work on. In theory your SMTP MTA/MDA shouldn't be handing the fax off to faxmail if it's not supposed to. So if it's spam then you have an upstream problem with the MTA/MDA. *But* if you need to filter within your mail-to-fax scripting itself, then you can easily replace faxmail with your own scripting. See:

http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/howto/faxing.php#ss5.4