Re: [hylafax-users] Both T.38 and T.30 - How will Hylafax know which Asterisk connection to use

Lee Howard wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Well IAXmodem, it was nice knowing you!

Well, IAXmodem will have a place as long as there are systems with PSTN connections. You'll undoubtedly have a place for it again in the future.

BTW, does T38modem make use of spandsp?

No. There is no DSP code in t38modem as far as I'm aware. It doesn't need it. There is no DSP needed in T.38, I don't think.
Wait a minute. This confuses my earlier post. I am confused.

I can expect to continue to have to support faxes NOT using T.38. They
continue to use T.30 over RTP (fax passthrough). I am currently using
SpanDSP either directly with rxfax or in IAXmodem to Hylafax for those
connections. I will continue to need support for T.30. I was trying to
figure out if T38modem will be able to 'make the connection' for non-T38
fax calls.

Without DSP code, how would it do that? Don't see how. So this gets me
back to my earlier question, of how to manage fax connections through
Asterisk to Hylafax (fax to email and email to fax) when you may not
know at config time what will be the case.

No as I work this through, obvious the fax to email should be
straight-forward when the fax is on a SIP connection (via an ATA).
Afterall, I would have configured Asterisk to support T.38 for that SIP
account. So I can set all calls coming from it to Hylafax to route
through T38modem. But how about fax calls on a DID trunk? Use NVfax and
see if it responds and route to Hylafax accordingly?

I don't want the case where I have to have instructions for (T38 calls
to this email use this extension, otherwise use the other extension).
This is even more interesting the other direction: Email to fax. The
call has to come through the T38modem SIP trunk, routed by the extension
called, and then after the fax answers, figure out if T.38 is supported
and if not what?

Someone must have this all written up somewhere. ARGH!

OPAL has *two* T.38 implementations... one in t38modem and one via spandsp (like Callweaver).