Re: [hylafax-users] t38modem, Was: faxing over sip

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

t38modem 1.0.0 (in the OPAL project) supports both SIP and UNIX98 ptys. So... if that code can ever make it out of CVS/SVN then there's no patching of kernels required.

This is VERY encouraging. But without an RPM for RHEL/Centos, I am not going to see it soon. Unless the Trixbox team take on the building of the RPM (as they have for spandsp).

Well, Vyacheslav Frolov (the t38modem author) seems to have disappeared for the moment (I guess it's been a few months now, at least). However, a number of people with whom I am acquainted are using t38modem 1.0.0 in live, large production use, and they're adequately pleased with it.

Over the past month or so I've been working with a T.38-using national telco to try to evaluate their service, and I've been using t38modem 1.0.0 to do that. It's been a rocky road thus far (partly due to the telco's internal inefficiencies - partly due to my inexperience with t38modem in production use), however, if things eventually go well I may end up using it on a large scale.

If that happens, then I'll continue to push the OPAL maintainers to coordinate a release of OPAL, ptlib, and t38modem that all work together. Once that happens you *should* see RPMs appear in time, and if not then I would likely put them together myself. Until then it's a bit tricky to get going as it requires specific-dated code from OPAL's new SVN repository (at Sourceforge, if I remember right).

Thanks,