Re: [hylafax-users] faxing over sip

Quoting Gerard Webb <gedw99@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hey,

I have a sip server for phone calls.

i would like to use hylafax to send and receive faxes this way. The modem page does not mention this aspect at all. http://www.hylafax.org/site1/modems.php
i know my SIp termination provider can handle faxes, so its just a matter of me being able to send and receive then from my end correctly.

Any hints about if hylafax can do this woudl be good.

Regards

ged

Hi, Gerard!

The short version is that you need to use a T.38 gateway at your SIP provider, and then a T.38 software to fake a 'modem' interface for HylaFAX. Native TDM faxing over VoIP such as SIP basically either doesn't work at all. Or if it does, you'll see about a 50% failure rate if you have a very soild LAN/WAN link to your SIP provider.

--Michel

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.