Re: [hylafax-users] html questions

jeff wrote:
All my faxes that I want to send will be html files converted to postscript with html2ps. I can't seem to find these 2 answers anywhere...

1. For testing purposes, I want to make one table on a html page that is as tall and wide as possible that fits on one printed fax. When this html file is converted to postcript (using 1cm margins for left, right, top, and bottom in html2ps) and faxed, the table should be exactly 1cm (postcript margin) from the left, right, top, and bottom of the fax. What should the dimensions of this table be? example: height="800" width="600"

2. What is the maximum or BEST resolution for b&w pictures/images/clip art on an html page (converted to postscript) to be faxed? example: 100 pixels/inch (I'm using photoshop for the images)

Thanks!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Jeff,

I am not sure that HTML's width attribute supports the use of inches (ex - width="7.712in"). However, it does appear that CSS does support layout in inches. You may want to try to set a div such as <div width="7.712in" height="10.212in"> ....content..... </div>

Not sure if it will work, but worth a shot.

Also, those measurements should leave you with pretty close to a 1cm margin around the paper as long as the DIV is centered.

1 cm = 0.394 inches
8.5in wide, minus 0.394in (left margin), minus 0.394in (right margin) = 7.712in.
11in wide, minus 0.394in (top margin), minus 0.394in (bottom margin) = 10.212in.

Some other interesting reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch
http://www.sphoto.com/homedd/dpi-ppi.php
http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/meas_resolution.htm
http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/measure_dpi.htm
http://www.biotech.ufl.edu/EM/data/pixi_vs_dpi.php (I love me some Univ of Florida - Go Gators) ;)

I too am looking to embark upon something similar to this. We are wanting to generate some HTML documents via a form. Basically, we would input form data, the data would then be put into the body of a pre-templated HTML page and then faxed to a selected number of recipients.

Let me know if this was of any help.

Kevin L.