Re: [hylafax-users] Analog DID Questions

On Oct 16, 7:08 am, Andrew Rinaldi <andrew.rina...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 8:09 am, Bezaleel Support <supp...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Our company currently has 4 POTS lines for voice services from Verizon
> > (in South Carolina, USA). These four lines are handled by our Trixbox
> > PBX system.
>
> > Our 5th POTS line is a dedicated analog fax line.
>
> > We are currently looking to get Verizon to setup DID services on our fax
> > line so that we can use the DID information to route incoming faxes to
> > particular users/groups. According to the Verizon rep, they only sell
> > DID's in blocks of 20's.
>
> > At the moment, we have not invested in any particular hardware for the
> > fax server.
>
> > First, I have been asked to provide Verizon with the following
> > information before they can even provide me with a quote:
>
> > 1) Trunk start - Ground-Start or Loop-Start
> > 2) Trunk signaling - DP (Dial Pulse) or DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency)
> > 3) Number of digits to be set? (I have no idea what this is referring to.)
> > 4) Send method - Wink or Immediate
> > 5) Any restrictions on the numbers to be used? (I am guessing this is a
> > no. Feel free to correct me.)
> > 6) Used for PRI or Digital Service? (Again, guessing this is a no since
> > I do not have a PRI and am using analog service at the moment. ;) )
>
> > Second, can this all be handled via a standard external modem? Or will I
> > require some other form of device (FXO/FXS/Etc Card)?
>
> > Lastly, will I be able to receive and send via the fax line once it is
> > set up for DID? I have read elsewhere that users can only receive
> > (inbound) calls via the line that has been assigned DID numbers.
>
> > Thanks for any and all assistance!
>
> > Will be also contacting Verizon tomorrow to try and clarify some of this
> > as well. Not holding my breath on that though.
>
> > Again, thanks,
>
> > Kevin L.

> > *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail sa...@xxxxxxxxx*
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> DID requires special hardware. A DID capable modem or a device to
> convert DID-to-DTMF are the most common examples.
>
> DID lines in the US are almost always receive only.
>
> I would imagine that your PABX supports DTMF generation... so why not
> use that to route the calls ? Not only will you no longer require a
> special DID Telco line, and special modem hardware, but all 5 lines
> can be used to send and receive fax's as/when required.
>
> If fax reliability and compatibility are important to you then you may
> also want to take a look at our latest fax boards which fully support
> HylaFAX;
>
> http://www.mainpine.com/products_IQE.php
>
> Regards
>
> ANDREW RINALDI
> Mainpine Developer Support
> USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
> andrew.rina...@xxxxxxxxxxxx |www.mainpine.com

You are correct. I confirmed today that Verizon's analog PBX trunk with 20 DID's would be receive only.

What exactly would I be asking my Telco for, as far as service, if I were to go the DTMF route? Are there any pro's or con's for DID vs DTMF other than the cost of hardware? IE, some functionality, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin L.