Re: [hylafax-users] New version of Hylafax and Debian install package?

* John Hudak <john.j.hudak@xxxxxxxxxxx> [071011 10:43]:
> Hi:
> I noticed there is a new release of Hylafax (4.4.something).  Checking
> out the Hylafax website under binaries -> debian, directs me to the
> debian site where 4.3 is the latest version. In the not to distant past,
> binaries of the latest Hylafax for debian were listed on the Hylafax
> server -but not any longer.  So has the protocol changed?  If someone
> makes a binary install package for Debian is it the intent that it will
> be only on the Debian site?

The link on the debian packages page on hylafax.org points to the debian
site, where you can see what versions are in what releases:
	http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=hylafax-server

Only official debian packages are in the debian archives.  But it's easy
to make a debian package right from the HylaFAX releases, or CVS.  But
because of debians release strategy, newer versions of packages will
*never* be officially available for older releases of debian.  So, if
your on sarge or etch (or older), you will never get newer versions of
HylaFAX from "official debian".  That said, since it's easy to build
debian packages right from releases (and even CVS), there are people who
provide debian packages (some of us even in apt repository usable
formats):
	http://people.ifax.com/~aidan/apt/

> I remember reading that Hylafax is automatically included in the new
> Debian release (lenny)...is this really true?
> Thanks
> John

Correct.  Debian lenny (testing) currently has 4.4.1-2 in it.

So, for instance, on my lenny, I have:
	hylafax-server:
	  Installed: 2:4.4.2
	  Candidate: 2:4.4.2
	  Version table:
	 *** 2:4.4.2 0
		990 http://people.ifax.com lenny/ Packages
		100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
	     2:4.4.1-2 0
		990 http://f.d.o testing/main Packages
		200 http://f.d.o unstable/main Packages
	     2:4.3.1-7 0
		400 http://f.d.o etch/main Packages

(f.d.o is my local debian repository cache)

On my older sarge servers:
	hylafax-server:
	  Installed: 2:4.4.2
	  Candidate: 2:4.4.2
	  Version Table:
	 *** 2:4.4.2 0
		500 http://people.ifax.com sarge/ Packages
		100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
	     2:4.3.0-7~bpo.1 0
		  1 http://www.backports.org sarge-backports/main Packages
	     1:4.2.1-5sarge3 0
		500 http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages
		500 http://ftp.debian.org sarge/main Packages

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103