Re: [hylafax-users] resolved Re: attachments are zero bytes - problem with ubuntu / debian packages?

Hi Martin,

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:56:42 -0400 marthter <marthter@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> executive summary: resolved
> details: see notes on my fumblings and bumblings inline
[...]

Nice report, I'll write a note about this method in the hylafax wiki. (Including the missed fakeroot.)

> Though I must say, the fact this didn't work with the packages that
> apt-get currently thinks are "the latest" rather un-made my Saturday and
> Sunday.  Shouldn't there have been an easier ubuntu-esque version of
> these steps where I just enable the "testing" repository in my synaptic
> GUI and re-request the hylafax-server package?
>
> What can I do to help that along?  File a bug with Debian and/or Ubuntu
> to promote some later greater version of the hylafax-server package from
> "testing" to "stable"?  (xubuntu 7.04 feisty and /etc/debian_version
> says 4.0)

I do not follow Ubuntu release process, but I understood that Ubuntu get the latest Debian package from Debian stable when Ubuntu create a new release.

In Debian, we usually never upgrade packages unless they have security updates. So the current stable release will always have a broken hylafax. The quiet long testing period before the release should avoid such problems, but this time it didn't.

Said that, I would suggest to ask Ubuntu for an update. Debian will have a new version once a new Debian release will be ready.

Bye,
Giuseppe