To: "Nicolas Ross" <rossnick-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Fax takes long time to send

"Nicolas Ross" <rossnick-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We've got a fax server running RH 7.3, Hylafax 4.2.1, that's been sending and receiving faxes for the last 3 years or so. Receiving works great, it takes less than 30 seconds receiving a 1-page fax. Sending is an issue.

Since a couple of weeks, we've seen our send-time pass from less than a minute to 3 minutes and more for single-page fax. This impacts our long-distance charges, and of course our costs. So for exemple, sending a 23 pages pages takes 60 to 90 minutes.

Our fax server is in a rack, with a 8 port multi-serial card from Multitech, a single external modem, also from Multitech. This rack is inside a telco CO, so the distance with the telco CO is minimal. The phone pair is probably less than a 500 feet to the telco switch. We've talk to the tech support of the telco, and they coudn't not find anything wrong. We had a multitech "real" modem that we've installed into the server, we switch the phone cable and tried again, and the faxes still takes 3 times the time that usually takes.

We send all our fax in fine resolution (196 lines/inch), and always had since 3 years.

From this, where should I look ?

Telephone line quality is probably this issue here, but your current setup probably won't give you much insight into that. I'm willing to bet you're configured in Class 2.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to HylaFAX-4.4.1 and configure your board in class 1.0. Set SessionTracing to 0xFFF or higher in the modem config files, and have a look at how many PPR (partial page requests) you see on calls where ECM error correction is successfully negotiated. If you see a lot of PPRs, you have challenging line conditions. Then you can beat the telco with a larger stick.

-Darren