Re: [hylafax-users] Document conversion failed

James Rich wrote:
When we submit very large numbers of faxes with PDF attachments the following error message often appears:

Your job to XXXXXXXXX was not sent because document conversion
failed.  The output from the converter program was:

statuscode:347

Check any PostScript documents for non-standard fonts and invalid constructs

These PDFs were created using ps2pdf and the PostScript documents do not have anything unusual or non-standard in them. Indeed, if we simply re-fax the exact same PDF it works fine. But when the sendq queue has many entries in it this message starts to appear. I don't know exactly how many queued faxes are required to trigger this problem, but we queue around 700.

Can anyone give some suggestions on what to do to resolve this? Out of 703 faxes 234 had this problem.

James,

Fascinating problem! First of all I'd recommend you upgrade from 4.4.0 to 4.4.1 so that the "statuscode" that's being returned there will be a little more helpful in plain English. For your information statuscode 347 essentially means 'Document Conversion Error', and like you say it should always fail, or always succeed, but not be dependent upon the number of jobs in the queue.

Can you elevate ServerTracing to 0xFFF in /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config and send us an excerpt from /var/log/messages when a job fails next time?

It's good to hear from heavy outbound users such as yourself ... we've done a _major_ refactoring of the HylaFAX scheduler (faxq) in 4.4.x and re-implemented batching from the ground up, and we believe we have removed many of the bottlenecks that have hindered people with long queue backlogs for years. We're interested to hear from anyone who's got hundreds, or thousands of jobs (or perhaps hundreds of thousands) in the queue. Whereas HylaFAX used to bog down with faxq consuming 99% CPU and jobs submitting _VERY_ slowly, it should now be pretty zippy.

I'm not sure what's at the heart of these document conversion errors, but we should be able to get to the bottom of it pretty quickly and we're glad you reported your observations! If you could develop a test case to reproduce the problem and are in a position to allow SSH access to your server, let me know privately and we can setup some more direct testing.

-Darren