Re: [hylafax-users] Upgrading Hylafax hylafax-4.3.3-1fc6 to Hylafax 5.1.8

Eliran Itzhak wrote:

I'm currently using Hylafax 4.3.3 installed with the fc6 rpm.
I want to upgrade to 5.1.8 (hylafax-5.1.8-1fc7.i386.rpm)
What's the best upgrade path ? Remove the 4.3.3 rpm and the install 5.1.8 rpm, or just install the new one over the old ?
If I install over, will it keep all the changes I've made to "notify" and others, Or will I need to change things at the new version manually ?

Step 1) back up your configuration and any customizations that you made
Step 2) upgrade the RPM via 'rpm -Uvh hylafax-5.1.8-1fc7.i386.rpm'
Step 3) re-run faxsetup (you probably will not need to re-run faxaddmodem)
Step 4) make sure that you have but one faxq running ('killall faxq && faxq')

Most everything will carry-over just fine. If you have modified the 'bin/notify' script then you will either need to port your changes to the 5.1.8 notify or you will want to use your old, modify as "NotifyCmd" in etc/config (see the text at the beginning of bin/notify in 5.1.8).

bin/notify and bin/faxrcvd are considered to be part of the package distribution. Normally modifications to them will get overwritten in the next upgrade. Thus normally you would want to follow those customization instructions that you see there so that they do not get overwritten by upgrades.

The 4.3.3 and 5.1.8 notify scripts are significantly different, and you may simply want to redo the customization work from scratch in 5.1.8 if it is not too extensive.

Thanks,