Re: [hylafax-users] I cannot send a fax

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 05:35:19PM -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
> Richard Ottinger wrote:
>
> >I was previously able to send/receive faxes with no problems...we had
> >a lightning strike and lost power...
> >I booted up...now I can only receive faxes...
> >
> >I am getting the following message when I run faxstat command & I
> >can't send a fax.:
> >Service not available, remote server closed connection
> >Unable to initialize data connection to server
> >
> >ps ax | grep faxq
> >2261 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/faxq
>

> Make sure that you are running hfaxd, faxq, and a faxgetty per modem.
> If they are running, try restarting them.

It may also be possible that a firewall on a client machine may be
blocking connections coming from the server. hfaxd, much like an FTP
server, connects back to the client for the data connection that
transfers the actual content of the fax. If a firewall between the
client and the server blocks the data connection, you get this error.
This happened to me once.

If you are running Linux on the client, disable the firewall, and try it
out.

-Abhijit