Re: [hylafax-users] modem stuck in receiving state

marthter wrote:

At this point I re-enabled the faxgettys in inittab, and did /etc/init.d/hylafax start. That still had ttyS0 stuck at "Initializing server" as always when this happened, so I did a warm boot (shutdown -r now) and that's still the only thing (plus cold boot of course) that I know that gets things going again. I guess its good at least I can do that remotely.

Anyway I'm about this close to taking out and stomping on the modem but I just thought I'd make one more stab at it (the minicom suggestion from way back, to try to wake it up) and see if anyone has any suggestions, or at least to note the above observations for archival purposes.

If you stopped the faxgettys and then ran minicom against the modem and if the modem still was unresponsive, then the problem is not with HylaFAX nor with minicom, but instead strongly makes the modem itself or other hardware suspect... or also possibly the OS (Linux?) serial driver. This is on ttyS0. Is is not an external modem, is it?

If it's not an external modem I would suggest a few things...

1) try getting the modem onto an IRQ that is not 4. IRQ 4 may conflict with an onboard serial port that you may have.

2) upgrade at least the Linux kernel if not the entire OS to something as recent as possible... if it's a Linux serial driver bug you don't want to waste your time and money cycling through modems while they aren't the real problem

3) understand that I've not yet met a modem used in large-scale production that hasn't gotten "wedged" on at least a rare occassion. Sometimes building the serial driver as a module and then removing the module from the kernel and replacing it can wake things up. Some modems have "drivers" (i.e. Rocketmodem, ISI modem) that can be handled similarly, and sometimes that wakes them up. Mainpine has a nice sideband utility that can reset most wedged conditions.